It’s no secret, emotions are powerful factors that play a big role in the decision making process. Emotions will move people towards or away from you, when choosing who they will do business with. To increase your network, you must appeal to people, to appeal to people you must listen to what it is they want and need.
Ask yourself these questions:
- Why would people want you as a trusted connection in their network?
- What sets you apart from the rest?
- What value do you bring to their network?
- Why do business with you?
These are all questions business people ask themselves when looking to expand their business network. Here are 5 ways to help win new contacts and influence decisions.
- Make people feel special. Smile and truly welcome your new contact without going into a hard sell. Your attitude must be one of friendly service, and interest, in them.
- Ask people questions that are specific to their business and personal lives. What do you like best about what you do? What got you started on that path? Who would be the best new contact for you? What is your preferred method of building your network? Are you from the area? Asking these questions will get your new contact talking all about themselves. Pay close attention, and continue to question their comments. Asking questions will move them to ask you, so remember, the questions you ask, are most likely the questions they will ask of you.
- Tell a story. People love hearing stories, when asked questions from your new contact, turn your answers into short stories, about how you began your career and what has happened since. Remember, you’re not reading your life story, keep it short and to the point and always bring the focus back to your new contact, for example, So how did you get started?
- Make realistic promises. As we all know, first impressions are the most important. When taking the next step with your new contact, be sure not to just tell them what they want to hear in order to get a private meeting with them. When you say, “I definitely can make that happen for you, lets meet Monday and square it all away.” Be sure you can or all you will be looked upon is untrustworthy and a waste of time to your new contact. If you say you will call them at 3pm tomorrow, put it on your calendar in front of them and be sure to call at 3. Be realistic, and then exceed their expectations!
- Provide a high level of service. Show respect for them and for their time by being on time for any appointments you may have set up. If you’re running late, call them to see if that will be ok. Be consistent and keep them well-informed.
All of these techniques lead to building trust, which of course is why, when it is time to make a business decision with you involved, and you have not disappointed them in the past, it will be easier for them to move toward you and refer other to you as well. People expect value from you, and they also want to feel valued by you. It really is not much to ask when doing business properly.
In the Philadelphia area? I invite you to try out these techniques at The Ultimate Networking Party Live, Philadelphia, South Jersey and Delaware’s Premier Business to Business Networking Event since 2009.
Register Now at http://ultimatenetworkingevent.eventbrite.com
Looking forward to seeing you there.
Thomas Camarda is a professional networker and speaks at networking events and seminars nationally. Thomas offers Networking training, both one-on-one or for your Networking Group.
Article Reprinting Instructions
Adding Content to Your Website or Publication is easy!
PLEASE NOTE: All articles and networking tips in this BLOG are written by Thomas Camarda. All reprints in magazines, periodicals, newsletters, newspapers, e Zines, on the Internet or on your own Website MUST receive the full written and expressed permission by Thomas Camarda. If you would like to request permission to “REPRINT” an article please email Thomas@TheUltimateNetworkingEvent.com with “REPRINT” in the subject line. Please specify which article from “Becoming The Ultimate Networker” you wish to reprint and where you will be reprinting it. If you reprint on a website, please include the URL and the date the reprint will appear. If you reprint in print media, please request the address you will sent the publication to.
CONDITIONS: Once you have obtained permission, articles may be reprinted with the copyright notice, bio and links added at the end of each article as follows:
Copyright © 2014 – Thomas Camarda. Reprinted with permission. This article is adapted from “Becoming The Ultimate Networker” at http://BecomingTheUltimateNetworker.wordpress.com Thomas Camarda is a professional networker and speaks at networking events and seminars nationally. Thomas offers networking coaching, both one-on-one or for your Networking Group. Invite Thomas Camarda to speak to your group.
Contact: Thomas Camarda
Add Thomas Camarda to your Social Media :
Twitter : http://www.Twitter.com/thomascamarda
LinkedIn : http://www.linkedin.com/in/thomascamarda