Having a successful career doesn’t come overnight, as a matter of fact, the only overnight success I know worked overnight to get there. Building, creating, and cultivating relationships is what networking is all about and when building a successful career, communication skills are key. Business networking is not only a great way to build new business, it’s also a great way to build, strengthen and advance your career while strengthening your communication skills and positioning yourself as an expert in your field. Here are 5 steps to help guide you.
- To get to the top, learn from the top. It has been said that you become like the 5 people you spend the most time with. Seek out the professionals in your company that you would like to know that have what you would like to have in terms of knowledge, position, and respect from peers and co-workers. Introduce yourself to them and ask them questions about how they got started, what they did to gain their success, and such. Let them know that you strive to be as successful as they are and want to learn from them. I found that inviting someone to lunch is a great way to get to know them and they are very open to helping you. It also gives you exclusive time with them without interruption from work or others. This is where you have the time to ask those important questions and create the business relationship.
- Engage in your company’s events. Whether it be business breakfasts, luncheons, dinners, outings, and such. showing up to everything shows you’re serious about excelling in the company you’re in.
- Be the Go-To person amongst your peers and co-workers. If you have the mindset of “I just want to do my job and get out of here” you will just blend in to the majority, and its noticeable to the leaders of the company. Do all you can to do your job well while helping other with their projects. This show leadership and ambition and it also turns the heads of company leadership and gets you noticed.
- Grow your social network with business leaders. LinkedIn is the largest professional social network in the world with thousands and thousands of successful business people in your profession. Find your company and be sure that your profile includes them. Search for your company’s leadership and connect to them. Seek out professionals that can help you grow, and connect to them. Join the groups and follow the influencers that can help you learn more about the industry you’re in. Engage in discussions by commenting and giving your input. Write articles on topics of your expertise. This will help you in positioning yourself as an expert in your field.
- Attend Business Networking Events. There are many reasons to attend live networking events. The main reason, which has an effect on everything, is to create and build new business relationships. These relationships not only help you create new business, they also help you know what is happening in your market, help you better understand who your competition is and what they are doing to grow their business. It helps you keep your finger on the pulse of your business and industry. You will meet other professionals that do what you do and call them your competition, but it’s better to have allies than enemies.
Put these valuable tips to good use, at The Ultimate Networking Event Live. Since 2009 The Ultimate Networking Event has connected ten’s of thousands of business professionals. See our events at http://ultimatenetworkingevent.eventbrite.com Please feel free to join my Group on LinkedIn: The Ultimate Networking Event Live – http://tinyurl.com/pg4xqpz Subscribe to my weekly blog: http://BecomingTheUltimateNetworker.wordpress.com Copyright © 2014 – Thomas Camarda. To contact Thomas Camarda fill out the form below:
Thomas Camarda is a professional networker, expert in his field, and speaks at networking events and seminars nationally. Thomas offers Networking training, both one-on-one or for your Networking Group.
Article Reprinting Instructions
Adding Content to Your Website or Publication is easy!
PLEASE NOTE: All articles and networking tips in this BLOG are written by Thomas Camarda. All reprints in magazines, periodicals, newsletters, newspapers, e Zines, on the Internet or on your own Website MUST receive the full written and expressed permission by Thomas Camarda. If you would like to request permission to “REPRINT” an article please email Thomas@TheUltimateNetworkingEvent.com with “REPRINT” in the subject line. Please specify which article from “Becoming The Ultimate Networker” you wish to reprint and where you will be reprinting it. If you reprint on a website, please include the URL and the date the reprint will appear. If you reprint in print media, please request the address you will sent the publication to. CONDITIONS: Once you have obtained permission, articles may be reprinted with the copyright notice, bio and links added at the end of each article as follows: Copyright © 2014 – Thomas Camarda. Reprinted with permission. This article is adapted from “Becoming The Ultimate Networker” at http://BecomingTheUltimateNetworker.wordpress.com Thomas Camarda is a professional networker and speaks at networking events and seminars nationally. Thomas offers networking coaching, both one-on-one or for your Networking Group. Invite Thomas Camarda to speak to your group. Contact: Thomas Camarda – Thomas@TheUltimateNetworkingEvent.com – 732-744-4719 Add Thomas Camarda to your Social Media : LinkedIn : http://www.linkedin.com/in/thomascamarda http://www.Facebook.com/thomascamarda Twitter : http://www.Twitter.com/thomascamarda WordPress: http://BecomingTheUltimateNetworker.wordpress.com